Fat-Free/Oil Free Vegan Pizza To Die For
Pizza anyone? I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like pizza. I personally have NEVER met a piece of pizza I didn’t like. Although it is now possible, in today’s world to order vegan pizza out, you still likely get pizza without cheese and vegetables, but you are certain to have a bunch of oil and other ingredients you aren’t really sure about. Homemade pizza is fun to make, and if made correctly, can be fat-free and fabulous. We decided to make two different kinds tonight; Mediterranean (its the Greek in me), and a sauceless sautéed mushroom, onion arugula pizza. Admittedly, Paul and I ate both pizzas minus a couple pieces. Conclusion? It was fantastic!
Fat Free Pizza Dough: (you may also use Trader Joe’s Vegan Dough (with a lil oil) if you aren’t interested in the oil free version.
1 cup warm water (run the tap until warm)
2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
1 tablespoon vegan raw sugar
1½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
1 heaping tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
- Use a fork or spoon to combine water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl–set aside until foaming.
- Combine all remaining ingredients (except maple syrup) in large mixing bowl.
- Now add yeast (again it will be foamy) .
- If dough is too sticky to handle with your fingers, add a tablespoon of flour. or more for desired consistency.
- If it’s too dry to hold together, add a teaspoon or more of water. Knead dough for just a minute or two.
- Set dough aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it doubles in size. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Knead, stretch, and roll out dough in a circular shape.
- Put corn meal on the bottom of a pizza stone. This will give your pizza a crunchy bottom and prevent sticking.
- Put in oven WITHOUT any toppings. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes. This will cook the surface of the dough and make it so it doesn’t get soggy with toppings.
- While it pre-cooks, prepare your toppings.
No oil pizza sauce:
- 2 cups plain tomato puree (no oil) I used Muir Glen Organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
Mediterranean Pizza toppings:
- Oil free pizza sauce to cover surface of half cooked dough.
- Then, layer the following ingredients:
- Spinach (handful) raw
- Red onion sliced in strips
- Sun dried tomatoes: Use dried no oil. Rehydrate by placing them in boiling water for 30 minutes; drain, and chop
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 3 cloves crushed garlic.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until crust is brown
Sauteed mushroom/onion Arugula Pizza:
- Rub 3 cloves minced garlic into half baked crust
- Saute 1 large onion and 8 ounces mushrooms until fragrant and liquid is minimal.
- Put mushrooms and onions on half baked pizza dough
- Bake pizza at 450 degrees fro 20 minutes
- While baking, take two cups of arugula toss in two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- When pizza is done, remove from oven, and top with arugula mixture.