Healthy Vegan Apple Crisp with No Oil
Although I am not much of a dessert fan, my husband loves sweets! He can’t walk passed a candy dish without grabbing a snack, or pass up dessert if it is offered to him. And although he thinks I don’t know, I find candy wrappers in the laundry and other places, and since they aren’t mine, I can only assume they are his.
I don’t keep sweets in the house to save him from himself. I do, though, on occasion make dessert, that I consider less offensive than what he would eat if left to his own accord.
Engine 2 makes a Apple Pumpkin Granola that has 31 grains, is low sodium, and contains no added oils. Its 100 percent whole grain with no GMOs. Add apples and some other goodies, and you have a hearty, heart healthy apple crisp that tastes like the real Mccoy.
If you are on a low fat diet, skip the vegan ice cream. That is how I ate mine, and I was just as happy as my husband who said nothing other than “Oh my god this is good.”
2 cups Engine 2 Plant-Strong Apple Pumpkin Granola
2 Fuji Apples, cored and sliced thin
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
Optional: Vegan Ice cream of Choice ( I used Cashew Milk Salted Caramel) I scoop
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Core and slice apples; place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice; this will keep apples from browning
- Drain lemon juice from apples; add maple syrup , brown sugar, and spices; toss apples again
- Using oven safe dishes, put 1/2 cup granola in the bottom of one dish
- Pour half the apple mixture on top of granola in bottom of dish
- Cover with 1/2 cup granola
- Repeat with second dish
- Cook for 30 minutes, until granola is brown on top
- Remove from oven; if adding ice cream, do so now.
- Serve immediately