Oil Free Nacho ‘Cheese’ Sauce with a Twist and a Kick
There are a plethora of vegan nacho ‘cheese’ sauce recipes that are made from potatoes and carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, to white beans and more. I wanted to make an oil free nacho ‘cheese’ sauce with a little kick. I like u sing butternut squash for my mac and cheese because I can make it smokey and creamy.
Back in the day, prior to healthy eating and veganism, my mom used to make a nacho cheese sauce out of Velveeta Cheese and Rotel tomatoes. Needless to say, I wouldn’t eat Velveeta is you paid me, but I had an epiphany today about how to give my ‘cheese’ sauce the little kick it needed, and it worked!
There isn’t a carnivore alive that would have any idea that this isn’t the real deal, and it happens to be oil free and virtually fat-free as well. So, give it a try, and don’t tell those skeptics the truth. It’s our little secret.
3 small Idaho potatoes, washed, scrubbed, skin left on
3 large carrots
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon Tamari, liquid aminos or soy sauce
1 Jalapeno; seeded and cut
1 Tablespoon hot sauce (I used Chalupa)
1/2 cup water
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- Wash three averaged sized potatoes; cut into large chunks (leave skins on potatoes)
- Clean and cut three large carrots and chop them the same size as potatoes
- Cover in water
- Boil for 20 minutes
- While potatoes are boiling, put vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, jalapeno, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, hot sauce and soy sauce in a blender
- Drain potatoes and carrots
- Put potatoes and carrots into a blender; blend until smooth
- Mixture will be thick; add water
- Transfer ‘cheese’ mixture into a medium-sized sauce pan
- Add can Rotel tomatoes, stir and heat on medium low; stir well
I used the sauce on top of grilled fajita burritos (post coming soon); or you can serve with chips, or on top of a potato, broccoli, or anything else you like spicy and cheesy.