Savory Herb Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Creamy potato soup doesn’t need almond milk or oil and butter to make it savory and delicious. Potatoes are a wonder vegetable, because the starch in the potato makes it absorb the herbs and spices you add to the soup. You can make a creamy, savory soup using only vegetables and vegetable broth and enjoy a savory soup without the concern of calories or fat.
This soup only contains the natural fat that occurs in vegetables and contains no oil or fat. When you eat it, you feel like you are cheating and eating a thick, savory and fattening soup. In reality, you are eating vegetables and only vegetables.
This recipe makes 6 servings; I make it on the weekend, and Paul and I take it to work in soup mugs during the week. You won’t mind eating this soup three days during the week; trust me!
Fall is on its way, so get ready for a plethora of soups and stews to warm your bodies and make your heart skip a beat.
1 Large white onion, chopped
2 Large leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped (leeks are a very dirty veggie, so make sure you slice them down he middle and wash the layers)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 regular sized baking potatoes, washed, skin on; slice into equal bite sized pieces
2 cups Frozen Ore Ida Diced Hash Brown Potatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup fresh chopped chives (reserve 1/4 cup to put on soup after it is cooked to serve)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
8 cups organic vegetable broth
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
Salt to taste
- Sautee garlic, chopped leeks, and onions garlic powder and onion powder for 10 minutes or until brown
- I wash the potatoes before I cook them and after. I do this to make sure all the dirt is removed, so it doesn’t become part of the soup. I leave the skin on because of the vitamins and minerals, but I don’t want to eat dirt 🙂
- Add 4 cups of organic vegetable broth; boil
- Add the potatoes and cover with another 4 cups of organic vegetable broth and boil again
- Turn down to simmer and add the remaining herbs and spices
- Do not cover
- Cook for 30 minutes; uncovered until potatoes are soft
- Using an emulsion blender, blend the soup until all the leeks, onions, and potatoes are thick and creamy. You should not have chunks
- Now, add the frozen potato chunks and cook for another 20 minutes on simmer
- Serve in soup cups with fresh chives on top (the extra you reserved)
You won’t believe it is made with all veggies! Try it; you’ll love it.