The Perfect Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, or Cooking in a Skillet
I buy organic Extra Firm Tofu This is what it look like right out of the package
For years I avoided eating tofu. Every time I made tofu, I ended up moving to the side of the plate. Most restaurants fry it, which doesn’t interest me, and those who bake and grill it seemed to have the same issues I did. Then, I figured it out with the help of my EZ Tofu Press. I bought it on Amazon, and in the beginning I made the same mistakes. I didn’t follow the directions; I was in a hurry as I usually am, and I got the same results….tofu I didn’t like. I have many friends who share the same frustration, and although I have posted recipes with similar instructions, this post is literally all about the proper press and grill, so you can enjoy tofu as much as I do.
Place the tofu in the middle of the press, and turn both knobs equally about four turns. I usually place it in the sink on its side, but for this visual post, I placed it on a plate to drain.
- Turn the knobs every two minutes, equally until you have this result:
- Most people stop here….NOT YET. Keep turning until the knobs are screwed as far as they can to almost touch the end like this:
- Although I have never tried this, I decided for this press, I would measure the amount of water I got from the bottom of the plate at the end.
- The was 3/4 cup fluid
- Now, remove the press from the plate, and I give it anther press with some paper towel for any excess fluid. This is what it should look like:
- Now, its time to cut it. You want to cut it in even strips, so it will cook evenly.
- I cut 13 slices evenly. Then, as ironic as it may sound, you can now marinate it. Yes, that means adding fluid you just removed. You can season and grill, bake, or pan sear it at this stage, or you can marinate it. Today, I am marinating it for a recipe.
1/2 cup Tamari (vegan soy sauce)
1/4 rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- Mix all ingredients together and pour half the marinade into a large deep container, so you can make a single row of tofu on the bottom.
- Place single layer of tofu on the marinade, and then pour the remaining marinade on top of the tofu.
- Seal and place in a refrigerator over night.
- Pre-heat the grill to low
- Place a grill mat on the grill (you can also use a grill pan, or if you are careful, you can place the tofu directly on the grill.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on each side
- Remove from the grill and place back in the marinade until ready to use.