Who doesn’t love BBQ? Of course, in the vegan world, BBQ restaurants do not generally cater to our dietary needs. Paul and I love BBQ. Fortunately, Paul grills like a master.
Although you can grill directly on the grill, we invested in Grill Mats a year ago; a purchase I would highly recommend if you follow a plant-based diet. You can cook anything on these mats; they are reusable, easy to clean, and require no oil or fat in cooking.
I marinate my tempeh beforehand, so it absorbs the flavors of the sauce I plan to use. Regardless of the sauce, marinating is a must. This time, I chose BBQ sauce.
Because BBQ sauce is quite sticky, it is extremely important you cook on low heat slowly, so your tempeh doesn’t burn on the grill.
I topped the sandwiches with Vegan Harvest Apple Maple Slaw to compliment the taste of the BBQ sauce.
I also made my own healthy BBQ sauce to reduce the amount of sugar and preservatives, but you can use any bottled sauce of choice.Print
Craving BBQ? These sandwiches combine the sweet and spicy of BBQ with a tangy slaw…the perfect combination
- 4 Vegan Ciabatta Buns, sliced and toasted (You can use gluten-free bread, a wrap, or any desired bread) or skip the bread
- 2 packages Tempeh; sliced in 1/8 inches slices
HEALTHY BBQ SAUCE
- 1 , diced White Onion
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Tomato Paste
- 1, 15 oz. can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 /2teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Sauté the onions and garlic in medium in a sauce pan until translucent.
- Combine all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Pour on tempeh.
- Cook 20 minutes on simmer.
- Cut the tempeh widthwise in 1/8 inch slices
- Place in a container and pour two cups BBQ sauce over the top.
- Marinate overnight.
- Heat the grill to low-heat
- Use a grilling mat, place a single layer of marinated tempeh on the grill.
- Reserve the BBQ sauce in the container.
- Cook 10 minutes on each side, using a spatula to flip pieces
- Put tempeh back into the container for an extra coating of BBQ sauce.