Cashews are magic! I am in love with Cashew Mac and Cheese with Coconut Bacon! What can I say? It’s a game changer.
When we were in San Diego recently, we ate at one of the best vegan restaurants ever! Although we went to many vegan restaurants, Donna Jean stands out as one of the best plant-based eating experience we have ever encountered. Click on the link and check out their menu.
First, we ate the most incredible mac and cheese I have ever eaten. It was served in an iron skillet, and it was so creamy and delicious, I couldn’t believe it was vegan. Of course, I asked how it was made. The waitress said it is a combination of raw cashews, miso, and coconut milk. So, after many trial and errors, I mastered it.
Then, I figured why not make it more decadent by adding coconut bacon. Although I have made tempeh bacon, as well as mushroom, eggplant and soy bacon, coconut bacon is by far my favorite. And, it is so easy to make.
I hope you love this mac and cheese as much as I do. Add the coconut bacon, or leave it off.
For the bacon, recipe click the link Vegan Coconut Bacon
It is fabulous either way. Add a little hit sauce to kick it spa notch, if that is your thing.Print
This smokey, creamy, and delicious Mac and Cheese melts in your mouth. Add Coconut Bacon and take it to the next level!
12 ounces whole grain large elbow macaroni noodles (you may use any noodle; shape or gluten-free)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight). You don’t have to soak them, but it takes less time if you do.
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk (full fat in a can)
- 2 Tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 4 Green Onions, bottom greens removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Shallot
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke (I used hickory flavor)
- Drain and rinse cashews
- Add cashews and all ingredients, except for the macaroni in a blender
- If you soaked your cashews, it will take less time to blend (I used a Nutri-bullet)
- If you did not soak your cashews, you just need to blend until smooth
- In a large pot, fill 3/4 of water and 2 teaspoons salt
- Wait until water starts boiling before adding macaroni
- Follow directions on package (I oiled for 7 minutes per package instructions)
- Drain noodles completely in a colander
- Return noodles to pan
- Add sauce to hot noodles
- You do not need to heat the sauce.The sauce will heat when pour and stirred onto the hot noodles.
- Serve and add coconut bacon to the top
- Add hot sauce
- Add scallions
- Add salsa or chopped tomatoes
- Add jalapeños