Yesterday, I was looking for a way to make some red potatoes with chili and lime. Although I am partial to garlic and rosemary, these little red potatoes were fabulous. Chili and Lime Roasted Potatoes are not only delicious, they contain no oil or fat.
Not only are these little potatoes healthy, they are so easy to make. First, it is important to parboil the potatoes. Since I did not use oil, or any addd fat, when I parboil the potatoes, it allows for them to penetrate flavors when marinated.
In order to parboil, you simply add the sliced potatoes to boiling water and cook until they start to soften, then removed before they are fully cooked.
Although parboiling is generally used to stir fry, I parboil prior to roasting potatoes. The result is Potatoes which are soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
When potatoes are cut in half, and parboiled before roasting, they absorb any marinade you soak them in. For this recipe, I simply added the parboiled potatoes to a large plastic ziplock bag with the seasonings and lime juice.
For this recipe, all you need is chili powder, lime juice, salt and cilantro. Although I parboiled my potatoes the day before, this recipe can be made on the spot or ahead of time.
I prefer to prepare the chili and lime potatoes beforehand, so they have time to marinate with the lime juice and seasonings. I add cilantro after cooking.Print
Low in fat and flavorful, these Chili and Lime Roasted Red Potatoes are a fabulous side dish.
- 2 pounds baby, red potatoes (skin on; cut in half)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Wash and slice potatoes in half (leave skin on)
- Place in pot and cover with water
- Boil for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly soft when poked with a fork. YOU DO NOT WANT TO COOK THEM ALL THE WAY THROUGH. About half way will suffice.
- Drain potatoes in a colinder and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Leave a few minutes to cool.
- Add lime juice and seasoning to a large ziplock bag
- Add cooled potatoes
- Shake potatoes in baked, covering all the potatoes with the lime juice and seasoning.
- DO NOT ADD CILANTRO
- If you make ahead, put in the refrigerator (I left them overnight)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Put contents of bag on baking sheet
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Place in a bowl.
- I added a little more lime juice and the chopped cilantro and served.
- You can also add a little lime zest for added lime flavor.