I was craving some creamy pasta, so I chose to make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff for dinner. Fridays are generally “stay at home” nights. Although the weekend is beginning, we are both tired from work, and to be honest, I wanted to make something simple.
At our house, pasta is a staple. We love the variety of noodles, and of course, the fact most noodles are vegan helps immensely.
When I was a kid, my grandma made the best beef stroganoff I ever ate. It was creamy and delicious. Her secret of using tomato paste in her cream sauce gave it the extra love and goodness.
Although I generally use almond milk for my creamy sauces, I decided to try using some raw cashews in this recipe. I only used 1/4 cup for the entire recipe, which serves 6 people, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt. It isn’t necessary to soak them for this recipe, so don’t worry about the wait time for soaking.
You can use any kind of mushrooms you prefer. Although I love shiitake mushrooms I chose a combination of button mushrooms and baby portobellos, because those were the only ones available at the store. I like a lot of mushrooms in my dishes. I also LOVE shallots. Furthermore, the combination of onions and shallots creates an unbelievable flavor, and the white wine brings all the flavors together. I also used a combination of parsley and dill as a garnish for added flavors.Print
I took my grandma’s secret recipe and transformed it into a vegan delicacy. Enjoy this incredible vegan sauce on any type of pasta, or use as a gravy.
- 1 16 ounce bag of Bowtie Pasta (or any pasta you choose)
- 16 ounce pack, plus 8 ounce package, sliced Baby Bellas or Other Mushrooms of Choice
- 1 large, diced Yellow Onion
- 2 minced Shallots
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 3 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/8 cup chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/8 cup chopped Fresh Dill
- In a cup sized blender, combine cashews, 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1 garlic clove and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, on medium heat, sauté onions, garlic and shallots until translucent.
- Add sliced Mushrooms.
- Cook until brown and all liquid from the mushrooms has dissipated.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add tomato paste and stir until it blends with the rest of the liquids in the pan.
- Add cashew cream.
- MAKE SURE YOU GET IT ALL. SCRAPE DOWN THE SIDES.
- Add white wine.
- The mixture will thicken as you stir.
- Turn heat down to low and prepare pasta.
Cook the Pasta:
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain when done. (Rinse if using gluten-free pasta)
- Add noodles to stroganoff mixture.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh dill and parsley.