My grandma used to make the most incredible pasta salad. She claimed she hid our vegetables in it, so we would get our ‘daily requirements.’ Regardless of what she put it in, she made it with love.
Although all kids avoid peas, my Grandma made it with peas, so we didn’t pick them out. Unfortunately, she used Miracle Whip back in the day, which was a staple in our home. That was the “magic’ apparently. I haven’t eaten Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise for 20 years for obvious reasons. But, that doesn’t mean grandma’s pasta salad disappears into a memory.
Instead, I decided to “veganize” her pasta salad, and based on my children’s approval, I apparently mastered the challenge.
Spring is in the air, and my husband and children love cold pasta salad. I load it with vegetables, just like grandma, despite my family’s love for vegetables. And instead of using an egg based noodle, I use a vegan noodle. This recipe can also be prepared with gluten-free noodles if you avoid gluten.
Although I usually use an elbow macaroni like grandma, I used a small shell-like Orecchiette noodle. But, you can pick any type of noodle you like. I also use a ton of dill and parsley, because I love it, and……that’s what grandma did. I grow parsley, dill, bail, and rosemary in my kitchen during the winter, so I always have it on hand. If you don’t have any parsley, the dill will do.
I used a small amount of low-fat Vegenaise, but silken tofu works just as well.Print
I ‘Veganized’ my Grandma’s Creamy Pasta Salad for my family to share in my childhood memories of family, my grandma’s recipes, and togetherness. This cold pasta salad is easy and a great side dish or dish to take to any party.
- 1 12 ounce bag Pasta, shape of choice (Use Gluten-Free if following a Gluten-Free Diet)
- 1 cup, cooked and cooled Frozen peas
- 5 sliced Green Onions
- 3 stalks, diced Celery
- 1 large, diced Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup, chopped Dill
- 1/4 cup, chopped Parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Carrots
- 1/2 cup Low-Fat Vegenaise or Silken Tofu
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- I Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
Cook Pasta According to Package Directions:
- Cook pasta.
- Drain in a colander and immediately use cold water to rinse pasta.
- This will stop the cooking process.
- Continue rinsing pasta, moving it around in the colander until all pasta is cool.
- Make sure you shake out any excess water.
- Put cool pasta in a large bowl.
- Add chopped green onions, red pepper, peas, shredded carrots, celery, dill, and parsley.
- In a blender measuring cup, combine Vegenaise or silken tofu (use silken tofu if following a low-fat vegan diet), maple syrup, lemon juice, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and fresh ground pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into bowl. Use a scraper to get it all out of the cup.
- Stir, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Stir again before serving.