Chimichurri sauce is perfectly paired with Grilled Lime Chili Cauliflower in this beautiful dish. In fact, the spicy bean puree brings a spicy component to the sweet, tangy flavors int he Chimichurri sauce.
I cook with cauliflower, often, because of its multiple health benefits. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetables, contains a lot of fiber and aids in digestion.
Although cauliflower steaks can be cooked directly on the grill, I used a grill mat in order to cook the steaks slowly.
In order to get a southwestern flavor, just brush lime juice on both sides of each cauliflower steak before sprinkling with chili powder, salt and pepper.
Although many recipes call for oil while grilling, you DO NOT need oil. The lime juice wets the surface of the cauliflower, making the seasoning stick well. Next, add lime juice and the same seasonings to the green tomato for the same flavors!
In the meantime, simply combine a can of refried pinto beans and a can of Rotel Tomatoes in a medium sized sauce pan, making a perfect bean puree for the bottom of the plate. How simply is that?
Then, with only a few ingredients, the Chimichurri sauce is made for the top of the cauliflower. Surprisingly, this whole meal took a total of 30 minutes to make, yet it looks like it came from a fine dining restaurant.
In essence, assembling all of these components together truly creates a delicious eating experience. All in all, healthy never tasted so good.Print
This sweet and spicy southwestern meal is sure to impress your entire family. This elegant meal is easy to prepare in under 30 minutes. And its healthy and delicious. A win…win!
Variation: If you don’t care for spicy, instead of using Rotel tomatoes, use a can of fire roasted tomatoes instead. The Chimichurri Sauce is mild with a sweet lime and herb flavor.
- 1 medium head Cauliflower
- 1 medium, firm Green Tomato
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- Varies Salt and Pepper to taste
REFRIED BEAN PUREE
- 1 16 ounce can Vegan Refried Beans
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 3/4 cup, fresh Parsley
- 3/4 cup, fresh Cilantro
- 1 clove, minced Garlic
- 1/4 small avocado Avocado
- 2 teaspoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 sliced thin and fanned Avocado
- A few leaves Cilantro
- 2 wedges Lime
CUT AND SEASON CAULIFLOWER AND GREEN TOMATO/PRE-HEAT GRILL TO MEDIUM LOW
- Using a medium sized cauliflower, turn it upside down and remove the leaves with your hands.
- Cut the cauliflower in half through the stem.
- The cauliflower should be in half.
- Cut off each rounded side of the each side of the cauliflower, so now you have two flat sides.
- It should look like a steak.
- You want your cauliflower steak at least 1 inch thick.
- Cut the green tomato thick as well by cutting off the stem end, and slicing the rest of the tomato in three equal pieces.
- Season both sides of the cauliflower steaks and tomatoes with salt, pepper, and chili powder
- The cauliflower takes longer than the tomatoes, so leave the tomatoes on a plate while you begin grilling the cauliflower steak.
- I used a grilling mat. You may out directly on the grill though if you do not have a grill mat.
- Grill for 10 minutes of each side.
- When you flip the cauliflower for the first time, put the tomatoes on.
- The tomatoes cook for 5 minutes on each side.
MAKE YOUR BEAN PUREE
- Combine the can of refried beans and Rotel tomatoes in sauce pan.
- Heat on medium, and stir occasionally until heated through.
MAKE THE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- In a small food processor bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- It is not “smoothy smooth.” It has chunks of herbs, which is what it is supposed to look like.
- This is a cold sauce; no need to heat.
PREPARE YOUR PLATE
- Spoon bean puree into the middle of the plate.
- Put the grilled cauliflower steak on top of the bean puree in the middle of the plate.
- Add the tomato on the side
- Add Chimichurri sauce on top of the cauliflower
- Add a few pieces of avocado, a little cilantro and a lime slice.
- The chimichurri sauce goes through the cauliflower and surrounds the bean puree, making a pretty green outline.
- Now, dig in.
The combination of flavors is fantastic!