Mediterranean Vegan Quiche tastes as good as it looks! With the right combination of ingredients, the flavors are incredibly savory in this quiche. Not only is this quiche simple to make, you have a variety of options with different fillings, crusts, as well as sizes to choose from.
Although I chose a gluten-free crust, it is possible to make this quiche crustless as well. For a quick option, buy a vegan crust at the store.
For instance, Whole Foods carries a vegan crust in the freezer section. Or you can use a mini muffin pan, to make individual appetizers.
Despite choosing to use Mediterranean flavors, any combinations of vegetables and flavors can transform your quiche. Actually, just use the base tofu mixture and add the ingredients you want.
For instance, use spinach, mushrooms, and shallots for a mild tasting quiche.
Another option would be to use coconut bacon, onions, and broccoli. In order to make the most delicious quiche, just choose your favorite combinations of flavors.
In order to achieve the savory component of this quiche, I chose kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Furthermore, using onions and garlic with the mushrooms provides the “meaty” texture.
Finally, the tahini drizzle brings the whole quiche together with a touch of lemony yum.
This light and flavorful quiche is the prefect entree, or can be made into individual baby quiches using a mini muffin pan.
- 12.3 ounces extra-firm silken tofu (patted dry; do not press and drain)
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium, sweet onion chopped or 2 cups
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry in package not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces, sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup Fine Almond Flour (I used Bob Mills)
- ⅓ cup Tapioca Starch (I used Bob Mills)
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax + 5 Tablespoons Water
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
Quick Tip: Whole Foods carries a vegan pie crust in the freezer section that will work just as well.
Tahini Drizzle (Optional)
- 1/8 cup Tahini
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salad
- First, combine Flax meal and water in a small bowl and stir.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes until it is thick.
- In the meantime, whisk the dry ingredients together: Almond Flour, Tapioca Flour, and Salt together in a medium to large bowl.
- Add in the thickened Flax, and mix until a dough ball forms. You will need to use your hands.
- The dough should be damp but not stick to your fingers (if it is too sticky, add a little more almond flour but not too much)
- Place the ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper, and roll the dough out with a rolling pin until it becomes wide enough to cover the base of your pie tin.
- Peel off the top layer of wax paper, and gently place your pie tin on top of the dough.
- Flip the tin over, and remove the other sheet of wax paper, which should now be on top.
- Use your fingers to press the dough evenly into the pie tin (it should be damp, but not sticky). Poke several holes in the dough using a fork.
- Place the pie tin in the freezer for 30 minutes minutes; during this time, turn the oven on to 400F.
- Cover the dough and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 357 degrees
- Uncover, then cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Now, add your filling.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add the sun-dried tomatoes (set aside while you prepare the other vegetables) This softens the sun-dried tomatoes to make them easier to cut and cook
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent, and mushrooms are browned. Add little vegetable broth if sticking occurs.
- Add chopped red pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add a little water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
- Drain and chop sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes to sauté pan and stir until combined
- Remove from heat
- Using a food processor: add tofu, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, salt and pepper
- Process until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine tofu mixture and fold in sautéed vegetables
- Add chopped olives
- Pour into pre-baked crust; bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Let quiche cool for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces.
- Drizzle with Tahini Sauce (optional)
- I served with a salad
You can also make individual crustless quiche in a mini muffin pan, or a crustless quiche in the regular pie pan. The choice is yours.