These bite sized muffins are sweet with a little kick. Great with chili, soup, or for a quick snack.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour of choice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup all-natural organic applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I used maple syrup)
- 3 jalapeños, deveined and deseeded, diced small
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- I uses a mini muffin pan
- You can also use a silicone mini muffin pan, mini muffin paper wraps, or dust regular muffin tin with flour.
- You do not need to use spray oil or any other oil for non-sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder; stir.
- Add the soy milk, applesauce and maple syrup, chopped jalapeños and cayenne pepper and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into mini muffin tin using a 1/3 cup measuring cup to avoid overfilling
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Cool briefly before removing from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- I served with chili