Generally, potato pancakes are fried in oil and covered in sour cream. But my version is vegan, oil-free and full of a variety of vegetables with no added fat. In fact, this dish is boasting with Yukon Gold potatoes, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, zucchini, green onions, and kale. With very few ingredients, you can transform six vegetables into a beautiful and hearty meal without any added fat. By using gluten-free flour, Baked Potato Vegetable Pancakes transform into a gluten-free meal.
Although I enjoy cooking with my hands, I love my Cuisinart burger mold. I use the mold for veggie burgers of course, but I also use it for my “crabby” cakes, as well as my zucchini cakes. It forms perfectly round, uniform burgers, which cook evenly and look delicious. And these baked potato vegetable cakes form perfectly using the burger mold. I bought my Cuisinart Burger Mold on Amazon.
In order to add some greens and color to my meal, I prepared steamed kale. Since Baked Potato Pancakes highlight the meal, steamed kale provides the perfect accompaniment. Just steam the kale with vegetable broth and seasoning a few minutes before the cakes come out of the oven.
I used the leftover green onions and dill for garnish on top of the maple dijon sauce.Print
Oil Free Potato Vegetable Pancakes are delicious, guilt-free and simple to make.
- 3 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 medium Sweet Potato
- 1 medium, shredded Zucchini
- 1 medium Turnip
- 1 large, peeled Parsnip
- 1 large, peeled Carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped Green Onions
- 1/3 cup Wheat flour (gluten-free flour works well too)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup Dill, chopped
Dijon Maple Dressing:
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
Draining and Preparing Zucchini:
- Grate 1 medium zucchini.
- Place all grated zucchini in a cheese clothe or thin clean towel
- Squeeze all the water from the zucchini
- Peel and cut both types potatoes in half.
- Peel and cut carrot, parsnip, turnip in large chunks similar to the size of the potato.
- Boil for approximately 10 minutes, until the vegetables start to become tender.
- Drain in a colander.
- Return to pan for a cold water bath and immediately cover in cold water to stop cooking.
- Drain again.
- Using a food processor, on the shredding mode, shred the potatoes, carrot, parsnip and turnip
Forming Pancakes/Cooking Pancakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine zucchini, shredded vegetables, chopped dill, 1/2 of the green onions, 1/3 cup floured and spices.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Using a burger mold, or forming with your hands, make 5 large potato vegetable cakes or several smaller ones.
- You can even make appetizer sliders if you wish (double the amount).
- Using a cookie sheet, cover in parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Cook potato cakes for 30 minutes at 400 degrees
- While the pancakes cook, make the sauce
Mustard Dijon Sauce:
- In a glass measuring cup, combine dijon mustard and maple syrup
- Whisk together
- Set aside
- Remove stem from kale.
- Cut kale into bite sized pieces.
- In a medium sauce pan, boil 1/4 cup water.
- Once the water is boiling, add kale and cover for 3 minutes
- Remove cover and drain in a colander
- Place one Potato Cake in the middle of the plate.
- Place kale on the side.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the sauce over the potato cake and the kale
- Using the reserved green onions, add a few green onions and a spring of dill