My husband and I LOVE tapas. In fact, a lot of nights we will eat appetizers for dinner; that way we can taste test our way around a menu, or create our own at home. Oil-free Rosemary and Thyme Mushroom Bruschetta can be a meal in itself.
Bruschetta is one of those small plates which creates a multitude of possibilities all on a tiny piece of bread. The varieties are endless, and the flavor combinations are a great way to explore the wonderful tastes of the different vegetables of the seasons. I have several other Vegan Bruschetta recipes, so you can create a variety of flavors, or make up your own.
This savory mushroom small bite makes a perfect appetizer to bring to any party, or it can be eaten as a meal. Our guests enjoyed this dish over the holidays; not even a crumb remains on the plate.
Rosemary, garlic, mushrooms, shallots, and wine oh my……..Print
Crunchy savory bites of mushrooms on crisp bite sized pieces of bread. What else could you want in one bite?
- 8 ounces Button Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 8 ounces Baby Bellas or Other Mushrooms of Choice, sliced thin
- 8 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 large, minced Shallots
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Parsley, chopped
- 2 long springs Rosemary, chopped (stems removed)
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari, Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I used Amy’s)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 loaf French Bread, sliced into bite sized pieces
Optional: you can use gluten-free bread or any type of bread you prefer.
Sautéed Mushrooms and Shallots
- In a medium sauté pan, on medium heat, heat garlic, and chopped shallot until fragrant (3 minutes). I do not use oil or butter; instead I use a non-stick pan and a small amount of vegetable broth if needed.
- Add the mushrooms and saute; the mushrooms need to cook for a while, so be patient.
- Add the rosemary and thyme and stir, cooking some more.
Add Herbs and Wine
- Once your mushrooms are cooked (they begin to brown and start to stick to the pan, add the Tamari,Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in wine. Cook a while longer, so the ingredients come together.
- Slice your french bread in 1/2 sliced and place on to a baking sheet.
- Put bread in the oven at 350 for 6 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven and using a spoon, cover the surface of each piece of bread with the mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.