Nothing tastes better than the ‘cheesy’ goodness of oil-free smokey scalloped potatoes. That same creamy, dreamy taste can easily be achieved using only vegetables and NO OIL!
Although tasty vegan, non-dairy cheese exists in today’s world, it is still full of preservatives and fat. Making cheese sauce that tastes just as delicious as real cheese
is possible with vegetables and a few creative ingredients.
The cheese sauce is a version of the one I previously made for my Vegan Chili Cheese Dip and my Nacho Cheese Sauce with a Twist and a Kick , but this sauce has a smokey, garlicky flavor with a savory and creamy taste. All I did was switch out some of the ingredients in my original sauce to get the flavor I was looking for.
I also chose baby red potatoes for the base, because they are generally softer and cook well when baked.
You can make the ‘cheese sauce’ in advance if you like to prepare food ahead of time. This recipe makes about 4 cups of sauce, so you will have two extra plus cups in order use for pasta or to add to any of your other favorite recipes. You can even separate some before adding the paprika and liquid smoke. That way you can flavor that batch for a different recipe.
Paul and I could have easily eaten the entire pan full of potatoes, but we restrained ourselves only so we could take some for lunch tomorrow.Print
These creamy, dreamy scalloped potatoes are mouth-watering and delicious. They are the perfect dish to bring to someone’s house. The smokey flavor is a real crowd pleaser.
Smokey “Cheese” Sauce
- 3 regular size Baking Potato
- 3 Carrots
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari, Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
- 1 seeded and veined Jalapeno
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke (yes Tablespoons)
- 15 Baby Red Potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 large, diced White Onion
- 3 cloves, minced Garlic
- pinch of Salt to taste
- pinch of Pepper to taste
Smokey “Cheese” Sauce
- Wash three averaged sized baking potatoes; cut into large chunks (leave skins on potatoes)
- Clean and cut three large carrots and chop them the same size as potatoes
- Cover in water
- Boil for 20 minutes
- While potatoes are boiling, put vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, jalapeno, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic, liquid smoke and soy sauce in a blender
- Drain potatoes and carrots
- Put potatoes and carrots into a blender; blend until smooth
- Mixture will be thick; add water
- Transfer ‘cheese’ mixture into a container for storage or use now
Scalloped Potato Base
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and slice red potatoes thin
- I always rinse them again in a colander just to make sure I get all the first off the first time
- Dice onion
Assemble in Pan
- In a non stick casserole dish (I used a stone casserole dish I love)
- Put a single layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan in a circle (make sure it is just one layer; the potatoes can touch and overlap but not too much)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Using half the chopped onion, cover potatoes with onion
- Then do the same with the garlic
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup ‘cheese sauce’ over the top of the potatoesNow repeat the entire process, layering potatoes again, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then onion, garlic and cheese sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and put in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven and remove aluminum foil
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh chives
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes uncovered, until brown and bubbly
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes prior to serving