This low-fat, oil free Naan is a healthy take on traditional Naan. This particular recipe is flavored with garlic and cilantro, but you can choose your own flavor by switching out your seasonings. This is an Indian inspired bread, but it is versatile to accompany any meal.
- 1 package (equivalent to 2 1/4 teaspoons) Active Yeast
- 4 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons, chopped Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 1/4 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Semolina Flour
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- 3 cloves, minced Garlic
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Vegetable Broth or Vegan Butter
Making the Dough Step 1
- To a large bowl, add yeast, garlic, herbs, sea salt, maple syrup, all purpose flour, and semolina flour, and stir together with a spoon.
- Using a food processor, add 1/4 cup of the water, then the dry ingredients and 1/4 cup more water.
- Add more water, slowly, as needed until a dough type consistency forms; it will be ball like.
- It will double in size.
Dough Step 2
- Transfer dough to a clean, well-floured surface and knead to make sure it is well mixed.
- Add more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in a silicone bowl and cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
Dough Step 3
- Remove dough from bowl once doubled in size.
- Cut into 6 pieces, or 8 pieces if making smaller ones.
- One at a time on a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a small circle that’s fairly thin (between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch thick)
- In a non-stick skillet, heat a pan to medium.
- Place one at a time in the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, but do not flip over until already cooked on one side. You can peak, but don’t flip.
- Cook all remaining non.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
GARLIC, CILANTRO SPREAD
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a cup size blender combine 1/4 cup cilantro, 3 cloves of garlic, and 4 Tablespoons of vegetable broth( or vegan butter if you are not concerned about oil/fat).
- Blend on high.
- Using a butter knife, spread mixture on each piece of Naan.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.