Arugula is one of my favorite greens! First of all, arugula compares to kale and broccoli in terms of health benefits. Furthermore, arugula’s peppery flavor enhances other vegetables and fruits in a salad. The right vinegar brings it all together, and the nuts add a little crunch.
Although you can use raw or roasted beets for this recipe, I chose roasted due to the softer texture. I also selected Marcona almonds, the “Queen of Almonds.” The Marcona is a smooth, tan almond known for its sweetness and soft texture, similar to a cashew. With only an ounce or less of almonds per salad, it transforms the flavors in your bowl.
For this recipe, I chose baby arugula because of its bite sized pieces. The sweetness of the roasted beets and the dried apricots compliments the buttery taste of the nuts, and the peppery taste of the arugula. Furthermore, the red onion, bold in flavor, enhances all the flavors. And the avocado brings a smooth and creamy component. Moreover, think slices of fennel add yet another dimension to the bowl.
I love to create salads with a variety of flavors and textures. Salads don’t have to be boring. Although some people claim not enjoy salad as a “main meal,” the ingredients you choose make salad a nutritious and filling meal.
If you haven’t tried Sherry vinegar, you must! Sherry vinegar is rich and nutty but only slightly sweet. It is vinegar so it’s acidic but not as overpowering as you may find some red or white wine vinegars. It is slightly sweet but nothing compared to balsamic vinegar.Print
This simple, yet complex tasting salad is a meal of textures and immense flavors
- 3 whole, fresh Roasted, chopped Beets
- 1 bulb Fennel cut into small ribbons or sticks
- 16 ounces Baby Arugula
- 1 small Red Onion, sliced in ribbons
- 1/2 cup chopped Dried Apricots
- 2 sliced Pears cut into ribbons or small sticks
- 4 ounces Marcona Almonds
- 2, sliced Avocado
OIL-FREE SHERRY VINAIGRETTE
- 1/3 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon, dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash beets and cut off leaves and ends but leave skin on.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil in a packet together.
- Place packet on a cookie sheet.
- Roast for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove skins (which should slide right off).
- Cut beets into sticks, or ribbons.
*Quick Tip: You can buy canned shredded or sliced beets in a can (drain and rinse prior to putting on salad)
MAKE THE DRESSING
- Add all the ingredients to a cup sized blender.
- Blend until combined. Place in refrigerator until you are using.
- It will last one week in the refrigerator.
CUT OTHER VEGETABLES/FRUITS
- Cut fennel, onions, apricots, and pears in uniform size to the way you cut the beets.
TOSS SALAD TOGETHER/RESERVE AVOCADO FOR GARNISH
- In a large bowl, combine arugula and all other fruits and vegetables.
- Toss with the dressing and distribute into four large bowls.
- Add 1/4 sliced and fanned avocado to the top of each salad as a garnish.
- Grind fresh ground pepper over the top if you wish.