Although pesto is often assumed to contain cheese as well as oil, my pesto doesn’t have either. Instead of eating pesto pasta, I decided to make it a salad full of kale, Brussel sprouts, and roasted vegetables. As always, my goal is to eta variety of foods, and try not to eat too much pasta. In this particular salad, the greens are the majority and the pasta is a small portion of the meal.
As well as the kale and Brussel sprouts, I chose to roast tri-colored tomatoes, artichokes, and red onions. Coupled with some Kalamata olives and basil as garnish, I followed somewhat of a Mediterranean theme. Although I love this combinations of flavors, any roasted vegetables will do.
Because massaging the kale helps to break down the tough cell structure and gives the kale a softer texture and (some people feel) a gentler flavor, I dressed the salad hours before serving it. In fact, the longer the kale and Brussel sprouts can be dressed the better. Not only will the salad hold up for dinner, it is just as good the next day for lunch.Print
Pesto without nuts, or oil is possible and delicious. Add a bunch of nutrient dense greens, a little pasta, and you have Skinny Roasted Vegetable Pesto Pasta Salad.
- 8 ounces whole grain Italian Cavatelli pasta, or any pasta of choice (gluten-free works as well)
- 1 1/2cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves. The more the merrier.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15 ounces can navy/cannellini beans (1.5 cups); rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 large Red Onion (1 cup) sliced
- 1 13 3/4can artichoke hearts, drained cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tri-colored grape tomatoes (or regular grape tomatoes)
- Balsamic Vinegar for drizzling
- 3 cups chopped kale, stem removed
- 3 cup Brussel Sprouts, shredded (8 ounce bag)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
- Basil for garnish
- Cook pasta according to box/bag directions
- Drain and run cold water over noodles until room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Place tomatoes, artichokes, and red onions on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Drizzle Balsamic Vinegar over vegetables
- Roast for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Set aside
- Remove stem from kale and chop into bite sized pieces; place in a large bowl
- Using a food processor or a hand grater, shred Brussel Sprouts; add to kale
- Add cool noodles
- Add cool roasted vegetables
- Add 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- Add Pesto
- Stir with a large spoon to coat
- The longer the Kale and Brussel sprouts are in the pesto, the softer and better they get
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Stir again.
- Garnish with basil leaves
Keywords: no oil, no nuts, pesto, skinny pasta salad, vegan, kale, Brussel Sprouts