Pesto without nuts, or oil is possible and delicious. Add a bunch of nutrient dense greens, a little pasta, and you have Skinny Roasted Vegetable Pesto Pasta Salad.
- 8 ounces whole grain Italian Cavatelli pasta, or any pasta of choice (gluten-free works as well)
- 1 1/2cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves. The more the merrier.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15 ounces can navy/cannellini beans (1.5 cups); rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 large Red Onion (1 cup) sliced
- 1 13 3/4can artichoke hearts, drained cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tri-colored grape tomatoes (or regular grape tomatoes)
- Balsamic Vinegar for drizzling
- 3 cups chopped kale, stem removed
- 3 cup Brussel Sprouts, shredded (8 ounce bag)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
- Basil for garnish
- Cook pasta according to box/bag directions
- Drain and run cold water over noodles until room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Place tomatoes, artichokes, and red onions on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Drizzle Balsamic Vinegar over vegetables
- Roast for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Set aside
- Remove stem from kale and chop into bite sized pieces; place in a large bowl
- Using a food processor or a hand grater, shred Brussel Sprouts; add to kale
- Add cool noodles
- Add cool roasted vegetables
- Add 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- Add Pesto
- Stir with a large spoon to coat
- The longer the Kale and Brussel sprouts are in the pesto, the softer and better they get
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Stir again.
- Garnish with basil leaves
Keywords: no oil, no nuts, pesto, skinny pasta salad, vegan, kale, Brussel Sprouts