Although I am not a fan of “fake meat,” my husband loves it. Despite the debate about the nutritional benefits of Beyond Meat vs. Impossible Meat, I prefer Bocca Original Crumbles. What’s the difference? Bocca Orignal Crumbles are only 60 calories and completely fat-free. Conversely, Beyond Meat is 270 calories with 20 grams of fat.Need I say more? Although the word skinny and taco are generally not used in the same sentence, these are the closest to fat free as it gets.
When making Skinny Taco Lettuce Cups, Bocca Crumbles are always my first choice. In fact, I use Bocca Crumbles for chili, soups, tacos, and anything requiring a “textured meat.” Not only is it easy to prepare, Bocca Crumbles are available in the freezer section, and literally take 10 minutes to prepare.
As far as toppings go, the choice is up to you. For instance, I chose black beans, Simple Rosemary Infused Pickled Red Onions, Chipotle Cashew Cream, and store bought salsa. In my opinion, bib or butter lettuce makes the best lettuce cups or wraps. If like me, I try to avoid bread as much as possible, and these lettuce cups are the prefect dinner or lunch.
If you are looking for a quick and easy dinner, with little prep time, try Taco Lettuce Cups. You won’t be disappointed.Print
If you are in search of a low calories, no oil, fat free taco, this is your taco! Give it a try. Just think, you can eat a lot more than one without any guilt.
- 1 head bib or butter lettuce
- 1 12 ounce bag Bocca Original Crumbles
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel Mexican Style Lime and Cilantro Diced Tomatoes (or any choice of canned, diced tomatoes)
- 1 package organic vegan taco seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained (you could also use vegan refried beans)
- Simple Rosemary Infused Pickled Red Onions or raw red onion
- Salsa of choice
Chipotle Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water (or unsweetened plain almond milk for creamier sauce)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1–2 tsp maple syrup or agave nectar (or sub organic cane sugar or stevia to taste)
- 1 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (plus 1 tsp adobo sauce as original recipe is written // more or less to taste)
- 1 pinch smoked paprika (optional)
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Refried Beans
- Raw Onion
- Jalapeno peppers
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Wash and remove each leaf from the lettuce head, removing the core or based.
- Let lettuce dry on paper towels
- Using a non-stick pan (my favorite is Best Non-Stick Pan for Oil-Free Cooking). You DO NOT NEED SPRAY OR OIL
- Place Bocca Crumbles into the pan, and cook on medium.
- You may add water to prevent sticking while it cooks.
- Add Rotel Tomatoes and Taco Seasoning.
- Stir, and simmer on low while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. You may need to add a little water periodically, to avoid sticking.
Chipotle Cashew Cream:
- In a high speed blender, combine all ingredients; blend on high until smooth.
Keywords: Vegan tacos, Bocca Crumbles, Fake Meat, Skinny Tacos