Trader Joes has a few pre-made vegan sandwich options that are great emergency “go to” meals on the fly. I purchased a spicy lentil wrap one afternoon, so I wouldn’t starve at the airport prior to a flight.
Although perfectly delicious, the Trader Joes wrap was a bit oily and the sauce was definitely not compliant. I decided to try making my own, oil free, and I mastered it on the first try.
Honestly, I don’t understand why everyone puts oil in everything. More importantly, the spicy lentil sandwich spread tasted better without any oil. I have yet to understand why people put oil in everything.
In order to mimic the sandwich, I used similar ingredients: fresh spinach, shredded carrots, avocado (optional) and white onions. You can use a fat-free Lavash bread, or a vegan wrap from Whole Foods.
Although simple to make, the lentils and burger have to cook, so you can make the sandwich spread ahead of time in order to save time. Once the lentils are cooked, the bulgar cooks inside the lentils. This requires two waiting times.
In order to use my time wisely, I prepared the other ingredients while the lentils cooked.
Then, I added the bulgar to the lentils. While the bulgar cooked inside the same pan as the lentils, I made the sauce. In less than an hour, we were eating oil-free, grilled sandwiches.
You can also opt for different vegetables for the sandwich: purple cabbage, or arugula. Red onion and tomato would also be fabulous.Print
A panini grilled wrap filled with a lentil bulgar spread, with fresh vegetables and spicy Baja sauce
- 1/2 cup Red Lentils
- 3/4 cup cooked Bulgar
- 1 medium, finely chopped White Onion
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach
- 1, sliced White Onion
- 2 cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 Avocados,sliced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 whole with a teaspoon of sauce Adobo Chili Peppers
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
COOK LENTILS AND BULGAR
- Combine lentils and 2 cups water in a small sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Then bring to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and and add bulgar.
- Let stand for 30 minutes until all water is absorbed.
SAUTÉ ONIONS AND ADD LENTIL MIXTURE
- Sauté chopped onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add lentil/bulgar mixture.
- Stir in chopped parsley, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool.
PULSE THE LENTIL/BULGAR MIXTURE
- Using a food processor, pulse the lentil mixture.
- You don’t want it completely blended.
- Only pulse about 5 fives, leaving the mixture chunky rather than the consistency of peanut butter.
PREPARE THE BAJA SAUCE
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- I used a single cup blender.
- Blend on high.
- Pre-heat a panini maker to 375 degrees.
- Lay a wrap or Lavash felt.
- Spread lentil mixture in the middle of the wrap.
- Add spinach, carrots, sliced onion, and sliced avocado.
- Add Baja sauce to the middle of the wrap.
- Fold sides first, and roll the wrap, pulling the sides in while you roll.
- Place on the panini maker for 15 minutes, or until grilled.
- Drizzle with Baja sauce on top.