I buy organic Extra Firm Tofu This is what it look like right out of the package
For years I avoided eating tofu. Every time I made tofu, I ended up moving it to the side of the plate because it was either fried or mushy. . Most restaurants fry it, which doesn’t interest me, and those who bake and grill it seemed to have the same issues I did; soft tasteless tofu.
Then, I figured it out with the help of my EZ Tofu Press. I bought it on Amazon, and in the beginning I made the same mistakes. I didn’t follow the directions; I was in a hurry as I usually am, and I got the same results….tofu I didn’t like.
I have many friends who share the same frustration, and although I have posted recipes with similar instructions, this post is literally all about the proper press and grill, so you can enjoy tofu as much as I do.
Place the tofu in the middle of the press and turn both knobs equally about four turns. I usually place the tofu press in the sink on its side, but for this visual post, I placed it on a plate to drain.
- Turn the knobs every two minutes, equally until you have the end result (the last picture).
- Most people stop here….NOT YET. Keep turning until the knobs are screwed as far as they can to almost touch the end like this:
- Although I have never tried this, I decided for this press, I would measure the amount of water I got from the bottom of the plate at the end.
- The was 3/4 cup fluid
- Now, remove the press from the plate, and I give it another press with some paper towel for excess fluid removal.
- Now, you can cut it into cubes or strips, or you can grill it whole.
- But, first, you need to marinate it. Yes, you removed the fluids, so you can add fluids back in. Although this sounds crazy, its correct.
My Favorite Tofu Marinade:
1/2 cup Tamari (vegan soy sauce)
1/4 rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- Mix all ingredients together and pour half the marinade into a large deep container, so you can make a single row of tofu on the bottom.
- Place single layer of tofu on the marinade, and then pour the remaining marinade on top of the tofu.
- Seal and place in a refrigerator over night.
- Pre-heat the grill to low
- Place a grill mat on the grill (you can also use a grill pan, or if you are careful, you can place the tofu directly on the grill.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on each side
- Remove from the grill and place back in the marinade until ready to use.