The zucchini in my garden is growing faster than I can use it. Even though it is summer, I still love soup, especially if it comes directly from the garden. This year, I planted zucchini, onions, tomatoes, green beans, peppers, and melons. I also grow a separate herb garden where I grow basil, rosemary, mint and parsley.
Zucchini is extremely low in calories, high in fiber, with high water content. If interested in a great weight loss food, zucchini is for you. Zucchini also helps maintain optimal health.
Although larger zucchinis are generally used to make zucchini bread, smaller ones with the blossoms still attached are the best choice for freshness and juiciness for soups, salads, and other meals. When purchasing zucchini in a store, choose small to medium zucchini with shiny green skin. Holes indicate older, less fresh zucchini.
Even though Zoodles are usually my “go to” zucchini staple, I wanted to prepare a zucchini soup. Instead of just chopping the zucchini, I chose to puree it this time for a smooth soup. With only five ingredients, this soup is so flavorful, you won’t believe how easy it is to transform zucchini into an elegant pureed soup infused with basil and shallots.
Basil is one of my favorite herbs! It is easy to grow inside as well as outside. Although my primary herb garden is outside in the summer, I enjoy herbs year round in my kitchen. Basil must be cut and used prior to it flowering. Once it flowers, the basil no longer grows; in order to keep it producing from the same plant, it must be harvested often.Print
The savory taste of summer is elegant, and delicious with 5 simple ingredients.
- 5 medium, chopped Green Zucchini
- 3 cloves, minced Garlic
- 3, diced Shallots
- 4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 cup, packed Fresh Basil
- individual preference Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 leaf per bowl Fresh Basil
- A small amount of chopped zucchini for each bowl
SAUTE SHALLOTS AND GARLIC
- In a non-stick pan, sauté diced shallots and garlic until translucent.
- YOU DO NOT NEED oil.
- If you have any sticking, add a small amount of vegetable broth.
ADD CHOPPED ZUCCHINI
- Add chopped zucchini to pan (I chopped mine using a vegetable chopper, so all the zucchini was uniforms and will cook evenly. You do not need vegetable chopper; you can chop by hand, but try to make pieces somewhat close it size.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium, stirring often.
- Zucchini contains a lot of water, so you need to cook it until there is no longer fluid in the pan.
- Reserve a small amount of zucchini, uncooked and chopped for garnish.
BLEND PAN CONTENTS WITH BROTH AND BASIL
- In a high speed blender, blend zucchini/shallot/garlic mixture, 4 cups of organic vegetable broth, and 3/4 cup fresh basil until smooth.
- Put soup into a medium sized pan for heating soup, and reheat on medium low until hot all the way through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with chopped zucchini and a basil leaf