Savory “BLT” Pastat Salad is the perfect side dish for your next BBQ or a quick salad for your lunch or dinner.
- 1 16 ounces bag (box) vegan bowtie pasta ; cooked according to directions
- 2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half (I like grape tomatoes because they are less seedy, and they stay together better than cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup slivered red onion
- 6 cups kale, stemmed, washed and chopped) (you may use any greens, but Kale is heartier)
- 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
SMOKEY MAPLE DRESSING (pick a variation for your dietary needs)
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (hickory flavor) Mesquite works as well
- 1/2 cup Veganaise or Silken Tofu
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke (hickory flavor); mesquite works as well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dried coconut, and all ingredients for coconut bacon in an airtight container. Shake and refrigerate.
- Remove coconut bacon container from the refrigerator
- Drain excess marinade
- Place a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on a baking pan
- Using a spatula, spread marinated coconut in a thin single layer
- Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes; then, flip with a spatula and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- It is very important that when you drain it, you rinse it several times with cold water to stop it from cooking further.
- Set aside.
PREPARE ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
- Cut tomatoes, onions, and kale; put in a large bowl
- Set aside
- Choose the variation you desire.
- If using the raw cashew recipe, combine ingredients in a blender. Blend on high. Refrigerate.
- If using Vegenaise recipe, whisk ingredients together and place in refrigerator.
- If using silken tofu, blend ingredients in a blender. Place in refrigerator.
- Combine pasta with kale, red onions, coconut bacon and dressing.
- Toss salad, and add salt and pepper to taste
- Store in a covered bowl in the refrigerator until ready to serve.