Vegan Bruschetta is a perfect appetizer or a main course, depending on how and what you serve it with. Although most bruschetta has cheese, using creative, savory ingredients, can turn a fattening snack into a tasty meal.
I prefer to make smaller portions with a variety of ingredients. If you are serving bruschetta to guests, bite sized pieces are perfect. So, why not mix up the toppings to make a colorful meal?
Any typical bruschetta can be made colorful and beautiful. For instance, pick a theme; Greek or Italian; Mexican or Asian. Anything works on a small piece of crusty bread.
The toppings are the key. Leave off the the oil and the cheese, and you have created a low-fat delicious meal. The freshest ingredients make the tastiest snacks.Print
Quick and simple bruschetta can be a beautiful, colorful appetizer to serve to guests, or it can be a meal.
Choose your Bread: You Pick (Your Favorite Bread)
- Vegan French Bread
- Dave’s Bread (my favorite)
- Pita Bread
- Italian Crusty Bread
- Hummus (you choose your flavor) This one is Engine Brand
- Roma tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- Red onion, diced
- Cucumbers, deseeded and diced
- Kalamative Olives, sliced
- White Bean Hummus
- Roma Tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh Basil, sliced
- Avocado, sliced thin
- Balsamic glaze (drizzled)
- Spicy Chipotle Hummus or Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
- Roma Tomatoes, Sliced
- Red Onion, sliced thin
- Cilantro, Chopped
- Jalapeno Slices
- Edamame Hummus
- Green Onions, Sliced
- Clementines, sectioned, and cut into pieces
- Shredded Carrots
- Peanuts (Optional)
- Using a toaster or an oven broiler, toast the bread slightly.
- Cut the bread into bite sized pieces, halves or whole pieces depending on how you choose to use them.
- As an appetizer, you want to cut the bread into pieces, and make individual bite sized servings.
- As a meal, you may choose to cut the pieces in half or leave whole.
- While the bread is hot from the oven, put the spread on first.
- Then add ingredients on top and around, making each piece unique and colorful.
- Serve with a salad, or with nuts as shown.
- You can also serve as an appetizer, which is incredibly vibrant when you make a variety of types of Bruschetta to serve to guests.