Although I have made a lot of different types of vegan bacon, coconut bacon is my all time favorite. Not only is it easy to make, the taste and texture is clearly the closest taste to the real thing according to my family.
Again, me stress how simple it is. With four ingredients and 20 minutes, you have the perfect topping for potatoes, pizza, sandwiches, salads, and mac and cheese.
First, you need to find the core ingredient; Unsweetened Coconut Chips. If you have a Trader Joes in your area, or any Kroger Store (Frys on the west coast).
Do not buy flakes, and make sure the package says unsweetened.
Coconut chips look like thick coconut shavings
Now, all you need is three ingredients, and you have incredible bacon without any oil or added fat.
Not only is it easy to make, it keeps fresh for 7 days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the microwave.
My family LOVES it; so will yours.Print
Crunchy, salty and decadent coconut bacon is so delicious. Add it to your pizzas, sandwiches, soups, salads, or any dish you love. Savory goodness is so easy to make.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
30 MINUTES PRIOR TO COOKING
- In an airtight container, add coconut and all other ingredients
- Put the top on the container
- Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes, ideally 30 minutes, or overnight if planning ahead
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
- On a cookie sheet, cover with parchment paper
- Remove coconut mixture from the refrigerator
- Give it one last shake, and using the top drain any excess fluid
- Place a single layer of marinated coconut on the cookie sheet
- Use a spatula to spread a single layer, attempting to reduce a thick layer
- Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven; using a spatula, flip and move bacon around pan, still maintaining a single layer
- Cook another ten minutes
- Remove from over and let cook completely.
- Transfer to an airtight container
- Attempt NOT TO EAT IT ALL BEFORE putting it in the refrigerator 🙂
- Mac and cheese
- Baked Potatoes
- Tofu Scramble