Making your own low-fat Edamame Hummus is easy! I discovered these incredible crackers called Mary’s Gone Crackers while shopping at Whole Foods. They are vegan, gluten-free and have fabulous crunch. Although I have been avoiding carbs other than whole grains and rice, I truly have to say, these crackers are the BOMB!
So, if I bought crackers, I needed to make a dip. Store-bought hummus, although delicious, is not the same as the homemade version. First, you determine the ingredients in your hummus! The fewer ingredients, the cleaner the hummus. You can also determine the fat content, which is always my goal.
I buy Mame, which are the soy beans inside the edamame, removed. You can find Mame in the freezer section. It will save you some time. You have to cook them first, flooding the bag instructions.
Then, it’s easy and 1,2 3. All you need is tahini, water, cumin, lemon, paprika, and garlic and you have an incredible homemade hummus. If you don’t want to eat crackers, you can serve with sliced vegetables. I served cucumber slices and crackers to give my guests a choice. I also garnished with some roasted pumpkin seeds. Yu may leave them off, and add a few mame you remove prior to adding to the food processor.Print
Edamame hummus is a delicious sandwich spread or appetizer dip for crackers or vegetables. When you make your own hummus at home, it is fresh without preservatives, and you control the amount of fat you add. It’ s easy!
- 1 pound, frozen, Mame (shelled Edamame)
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons plus a 1/4 teaspoon for garnish on top Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- A few beans separated prior to blending Edamame
- 1 Tablespoon (optional) Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Edamame has pods inside; Mame is already shelled. I bought shelled Edamame called Mame to save myself some time. Either will work, but keep in mind, if you buy edamame, you will need to shell it prior to processing.
COOK THE EDAMAME
- My frozen bag required microwaving for 5 minutes on high. Follow direction on the particular bag you purchased.
- Allow to cool. If you are in a hurry, put in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
PROCESS ALL INGREDIENTS IN A FOOD PROCESSOR
- I used the small bowl for my food processor.
- Place cooked, cooled Mame into the food processor with all the ingredients.
- If you want to use Mame for the garnish, take a few beans out prior to blending the rest.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place in a dish.
- Sprinkle with additional cumin.
- Add Pumpkin seeds and Mame pods if you reserved some for garnish.