For a savory and elegant dinner, try making a Vegan Mushroom and Spinach Strudel. Delicate and flaky, the vegan puff pastry wraps around the spinach and mushroom mixture. The shallots, onions, garlic and rosemary bring out the natural flavors in the mushrooms. I served Buttery Butter Bean Mashed Potatoes with Easy ‘No-Chicken Gravy’ with the strudel.
Although mushrooms are mistaken for a vegetable, they are neither fruit nor vegetable. Mushrooms, a good source of B-vitamins (riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and niacin), iron, and selenium, make them a Super Food. Furthermore, mushrooms contain no fat and no cholesterol.
Mushrooms contain a powerful micronutrient called ergothioneine. Ergothioneine is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory which mushrooms have in very high concentrations. Cooking actually releases this powerful nutrient from the mushroom cells. So, eat your mushrooms and enjoy them as font as possible.Print
Baked, Flaky Mushroom and Spinach Struedal is elegant and savory.
- 1 sheet, thawed, rolled out Vegan Puff Pastry
- 16 ounces, sliced thin Baby Bellas or Other Mushrooms of Choice
- 3 cloves, minced Garlic
- 1 medium, diced Yellow Onion
- 1, minced Shallot
- 3 Tablespoons, fresh, chopped Rosemary
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari, Liquid Aminos, or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3 cups, Fresh Spinach DO NOT COOK with mushrooms
- Sauté onions, shallot and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms.
- Sauté for 15 to 20 minutes until brown.
- Add vegetable broth and continue stirring.
- Add garlic powder and fresh ground pepper.
- Add soy sauce and wine.
- Add Dijon mustard.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until there is no fluid remaining.
- Remove from heat.
Vegan Puff Pastry
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry slightly.
- It should increase by an a few inches in length.
- Do not roll out too much; you don’t want it too thin.
- Using fresh spinach (NOT COOKED), cover the middle of the puff pastry with spinach.
- Add the mushroom mixture down he center of the puff pastry.
- Fold widthwise.
- Using a fork, seal along the length and ends.
- Using a spatula, carefully move the strudel onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes on a cooking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Remove from oven.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- I served with Buttery Butter Bean Mashed Potatoes and ‘No’Chicken’ Gravy.