Pangang Curry isn’t a soup, or a stew, but a combination of the two. Filled with vegetables, noodles, and a light curry sauce, this dish has incredible flavors.
- 2 Broccoli Crowns stemmed and cut into bite sized florets
- 1 medium, diced White Onion
- 1 chopped in bite sized pieces Red Pepper
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 can, drained Chickpeas
- 1 minced Shallot
- 1 Tablespoon, ground Fresh Ginger
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 2 cans Lite (Low Fat) Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 teaspoons Coriander
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter
- 6 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 1 package Wide Rice Noodles
- 1 cut into wedges Lime
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- I like to steam my broccoli half way, so when I stir fry it. I do this because broccoli takes longer to cook than the other vegetables, and I like it cooked properly, so it isn’t too raw or too well done.
- Using a steamer, steam the broccoli bite sized pieces for half the recommended time (5 minutes)
- Rinse in cold water to stop cooking; set aside.
Preparing a Paste for Curry Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and curry paste.
- Add cumin and coriander.
- Stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, with sides, on medium heat, saute garlic, ginger and shallots (about 5 minutes)
- Add 1 can of lite coconut milk.
- Add the curry paste you made in a separate bowl
- It will begin to slowly melt into the count milk.
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and stir.
- When the paste is completely melted into the sauce, add the remaining can of lite coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- When it begins to boil, reduce to simmer.
- Add lime juice.
Cooking the Vegetables and Noodles:
- The vegetables and noodles take exactly the same amount of time to prepare, so begin with the noodles.
- Rice noodles don’t really cook on the stove. Instead, you boil water, add the noodles, and they cook off the stove in the water you boiled.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- When water is boiling, remove the pot from the stove and add the noodles.
- Stir the noodles, so they don’t stick.
- The noodles cook, on their own, in 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- When 10 minutes lapses, drain noodle and rinse with water to remove extra starch.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the pan to medium high.
- Cook onions first, until translucent.
- Then add red peppers, steamed broccoli and carrots.
- Add chickpeas
- Stir fry on medium for 8 minutes, moving vegetables around in the pan.
*Note, if you don’t steam the broccoli before; you need to cook it first, longer, or it will not be cooked al dente.
Prepare the Bowl:
- Put the noodles in the bowl first.
- Add Vegetables.
- Then using a soup ladle, pour sauce over the top of the vegetables and noodles.
- I used two ladles per bowl.
- Add cilantro to the top, and a lime wedge.You can also serve with Sriracha.