A heavenly Vegan Veggie Benedict is the perfect brunch with lemony Cashew Hollandaise. Recently, I found this healthy grocery store that carries homemade, vegan English muffins. So, I bought them of course. And, then I had to figure out what to do with them.
Although breakfast is not my favorite meal, brunch is right up my alley. Instead of opting for a Tofu Benedict, I decided to use portobello mushrooms, avocado, onions, tomatoes, and coconut bacon. Finally, I made a savory, lemony cashew hollandaise to drizzle over the top. I also added a single slice of jalapeño pepper to top for a little heat.
Not only is this Vegan Veggie Benedict easy to make, it was worth any effort with each and every savory bite.Print
Skip the tofu and savor the flavor of a Veggie Benedict layered in mushrooms, avocado, tomato, onion, topped with coconut bacon and cashew hollandaise sauce. Brunch never tasted this good.
- 1/2 cup dried, Organic Unsweetened Coconut Chips ( I bought a bag at Trader Joes)
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari (or Soy Sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke (I used Mesquite flavor, but Hickory works just as well)
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
Cashew Hollandaise Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, and drained and rinsed prior to use.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Vegan English Muffins (you can also use bread of choice)
- 1 large tomato, cut into thick slices
- 1 12 ounce package sliced large portobello mushrooms (equivalent to 2 large mushrooms sliced)
- 1/2 white onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Avocado, pit removed, sliced thin and removed from skin
- 1/4 Jalapeno (garnish; 2 slices)
Coconut Bacon (the day before)
- In a small airtight container, combine coconut chips, tamarind, maple syrup and liquid smoke)
- Put airtight top on, and shake ingredients.
- Place in refrigerator over night.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees:
- Use parchment paper or a silicone mat on a baking pan.
- Drain any extra fluid from the coconut bacon
- Place all contents of container on a baking pan.
- Using a spatula, spread the coconut chips evenly in one single layer
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven, and flip contents and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Drain soaked cashews and rinse
- Add all ingredients including cashews in a one cup blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- I put mine in a squeeze bottle to make the pretty drizzle over the top, but you can use a spoon as well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- It will last one week in the refrigerator.
- Saute the garlic and onions until translucent
- Add portobello mushrooms
- Cook until sautéed through; approximately 10 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Toast English Muffins
- Slice tomato, avocado and jalapeno
- When muffins are toasted, layer as follows: mushrooms and onions, tomato, avocado, hollandaise,
- coconut bacon, and one slice of jalapeño